Lemon Pancake Gateau recipe06-Feb-2018
Don't let the pancakes take all the credit on Pancake Day - grow your own lemons and let the often-overlooked partner take centre stage for once!
We've got you the very best growing tips for citrus plants from our resident expert Matt Biggs, famous gardening author and voice on Radio Four's Gardeners' Question Time.
To ensure your pancakes are as show-stoppingly brilliant as your lemons, try Michel Roux Jr's mouth-watering Lemon Pancake Gâteau recipe. You can see Michel at the BBC Good Food Show Summer on Sunday 16 June (all BBC Gardeners' World Live tickets include free entry).
Tips from the Veg Patch: Matt Biggs, top expert at BBC Gardeners’ World Live, shares his top tips for growing lemons in the British climate:
- Keep your citrus plants outdoors in shelter and sunshine in summer. Be sure to move them into a light garden room, greenhouse or conservatory before the first frosts in autumn.
- ‘Four Seasons’, ‘Eureka’ and ‘Meyers’ are all reliable varieties. You only need one plant to produce fruit and there will be flowers and fruit on a single plant.
- Water with tepid rainwater or soft water.
- Citrus are hungry plants, feed regularly during active growth.
- Mist plants daily with soft tepid water.
- Check daily for pests and diseases, particularly mealybug, scale and aphids.
- The best way to store fruit is to leave them on the plant!
Michel Roux Jr's Lemon Pancake Gâteau
Photo credit: Tara Fisher
- 2 eggs
- 125g unbleached white flour
- 80g wholemeal flour
- 500ml milk
- Pinch of salt
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- Vegetable oil
- Fresh berries, to serve
For the Lemon Butter
- 3 eggs
- Juice and a grated zest of 3 lemons
- 160g caster sugar
- 75g butter
- To make the pancakes, mix the eggs into the flours with a whisk, then add the milk gradually to avoid any lumps. Finally mix in the salt and lemon zest and leave the batter to rest for 1 hour.
- Add a smear of vegetable oil to a non-stick pan and cook the pancakes. They should be very thin and well cooked, almost dry.
For the Lemon Butter
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and zest together in a saucepan. Place over a medium heat and stir continuously until the mixture thickens. Do not boil. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve, then whisk in the butter, cut into small pieces. Cover and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ Gas 6. Line the base of a round, non-stick cake tin, about the same diameter as the pancakes, with greaseproof paper. Place a pancake in the tin followed by a thin layer of the lemon butter.
- Repeat the layers until all the pancakes and lemon butter have been used. Cover with greaseproof paper and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin, then cut into slices when cold and serve with fresh berries. If you like, decorate with mint and orange zest.
For more top growing tips and recipe inspiration, sign up the the newsletter today, and book a day out at BBC Gardeners' World Live with our latest online ticket offer!