Pumpkins, grow and eat with Jack Stein's maple roasted pumpkin recipe
Autumn is the time to harvest a range of squashes and pumpkins. There is such a variety, many being a far-cry from the classic orange pumpkin.
Some steal the show their size, others will draw you in with their unusual colour, markings or lumps and bumps.
Pumpkin 'Becky' is one of our favorites as a lovely mid-sized bright orange variety, perfect for both Haloween carvings and cooking the flesh afterward.
Jack Stein is Chef Director of The Seafood Restaurant in Padstow. In 2018 he launched his first book, Jack Stein’s World on a Plate. In 2018 Jack also joined our friends at the BBC Good Food Show Winter, demonstrating a tantalisingly different way to cook up pumpkin. This recipe is also available in the Showguide.
"It’s often a struggle to devise light dishes at this time of year but this great autumnal vegetarian salad fits the bill perfectly. Dukkah is a North African combination of seeds, spices and nuts and works brilliantly with the sweetness of the pumpkin and the sourness of the feta."
Jack Stein's maple-roasted pumpkin with dukkah and feta
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
- 1 pumpkin, peeled & cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp crushed sea salt
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
For the dukkah
- 50g walnuts pieces
- 60g hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 40g pumpkin seeds
- 40g sesame seeds
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 150g rocket
- juice of ½ lemon
- crusty bread with extra virgin olive oil, for dipping
- Heat the oven to 220C/ fan 200C/gas 7. Place the pumpkin cubes in a bowl, with the maple syrup, 1 tbsp of the olive oil, chilli flakes and salt and toss together to coat.
- Tip the pumpkin into a large ovenproof pan. Cook over a high heat until golden brown, then transfer to the oven and cook for 25 mins. Remove from the oven, sprinkle the feta over the top, then return to the oven and cook for a further 5 mins. Remove from the oven and leave to cool a little before serving.
- For the dukkah. Toast the walnuts and hazelnuts in a dry frying pan over a low heat until golden brown. Add the cumin seeds and cook for 1-2 mins until toasted. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until lightly broken up. Tip into a bowl.
- Add the pumpkin seeds to the pan and dry fry until brown and beginning to pop, then add the sesame seeds and toast for 30 seconds. Stir the pumpkin and sesame seeds into the walnuts, then add the pepper and salt.
- Tip the pumpkin and feta into a large serving bowl. Add the rocket and toss together. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and squeeze over the lemon juice. Add half of the dukkah and fold through. Serve the salad in bowls with crusty bread, olive oil and the remaining dukkah on the side.
You can see more top chefs demonstrating tasty seasonal recipes at the BBC Good Food Show Summer. Remember, all tickets to BBC Gardeners' World Live include free entry to this tasty show!
For more inspiration direct to your inbox...