Recipe from the Veg Patch
BBC Good Food Magazine’s Strawberry tart with lavender and honey cream:
What says summer more than strawberries? Paired with some of your home grown lavender (dried) and honey cream you’ll be wowing friends and family this summer. Our friends at BBC Good Food Magazine ensure that their recipes are triple tested so you know every dish will taste as good as it looks.
Tip from the Veg Patch: We’ve paired this tasty summer recipe with expert growing tips from BBC Gardeners’ World Magazine deputy editor Kevin Smith. Kevin shared top growing tips at the Potting Shed Stage at BBC Gardeners’ World Live 2017.
- If growing in containers, ensure your pots are no less than 15cm deep and grow one plant per pot.
- Strawberries thrive in well-drained soil, so include a thick layer of gravel at the bottom of your containers.
- For a bigger crop, suitable for balconies or patios, you can grow up to eight plants in a growbag.
- If using Growbags, layer two bags on top of each other, with matching holes, so roots can extend deeper into the soil.
Serves 12 | Prep 30 mins plus chilling time | Cook 22 mins
For the pastry:
- 225g plain flour plus extra for dusting
- 100g ground almonds
- 75g golden caster sugar
- 175g cold butter, cut into cubes
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg yolk
For the lavender sugar
- 300g granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 tbsp dried lavender
For the filling
- 250g mascarpone
- 220ml double cream
- 4 tbsp lavender honey (if you can’t find this use an extra 2 tbsp lavender sugar instead)
- 4 tbsp of the lavender sugar plus extra to serve
- finely grated zest 1 orange plus
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 700g strawberries
- To make the pastry put the flour, almonds, sugar, butter and salt into a food processor. Whizz until the mixture looks like coarse breadcrumbs (be careful not to over-process or the oil will start coming out of the almonds). Tip into a bowl, beat the egg yolk with 1 tsp water and add it to the dough. Mix gently and quickly with a cutlery knife until everything comes together. Add a little more water if needed. Pat the pastry into a disc, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins until firm.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface, making sure you have enough flour so that the pastry doesn’t stick and use it to line a 25cm tart tin with a removable base (it should be 3cm deep). It isn’t easy pastry with which to work; if it falls apart, just press it into the tin and patch it up. Prick the base with a fork. Put in the freezer or the coldest part of the fridge for 30 mins. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Meanwhile, make the lavender sugar by blitzing the ingredients in the small bowl of a food processor for 1 min until combined. Set aside until ready to use.
- Line the chilled pastry case with greaseproof paper and baking beans and bake blind in the oven for 15 mins until the sides are holding their shape. Remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5–7 mins until the pastry is golden. Let it completely cool in the tin then gently remove it.
- Beat the mascarpone with a wooden spoon until it’s quite smooth then add the cream and beat with an electric whisk until it’s holding its shape. Add the honey, lavender sugar, orange zest and orange and lemon juice. Whisk to combine and check for sweetness. Hull the strawberries.
- Fill the pastry case with the cream and arrange the strawberries on top; if they’re nice and small berries just lay them in, pointed side up. If large, slice them about the thickness of a pound coin then lay them in stripes of overlapping slices, using the bigger slices for the middle of the tart and the smaller ones towards the edges. Sift some more of the lavender sugar on top and serve.
The BBC Good Food cookery team were live at the BBC Good Food Show in which FREE entry is included in your BBC Gardeners’ World Live ticket - the team shared expert tips and techniques as well as interviews with superstars including Mary Berry and Tom Kerridge!
Read our blog post about the BBC Good Food Show to uncover more about what was part of this fantastic show.
We hope to see you there next year!