Katherine's Beautiful Border entitled 'Fascinating Haunts' won a Platinum Award in 2018.
- Don’t ever doubt you can do it. It's completely normal to be daunted at times - ask people for help. Even when you arrive at the NEC and find you’ve got an unforeseen gap in your planting.
- Don’t be surprised when things to go a bit wrong such as plants not flowering in time. Keep calm and don’t be afraid to make last minute changes. Test your plant combinations back at home and, if you can, add in a few things that are ‘looking good’ in your local wholesale nursery.
- Do give yourself some ‘wriggle room’ in your brief. Focus on the look, feel and purpose you are aiming for with examples rather than tying yourself to specific cultivars. Above all, deliver the border in your brief - that’s what the judges are looking for.
- Do give transport-weary plants a couple of doses of double strength foliar feed once they are planted. It really peps them up when they are looking a little bit sad.
- Do take some time off afterwards. If you aren’t really tired I want some of what you’re on!
Find out more about Katherine Hathaway: