BBC Gardeners’ World Live, 15 – 18 June, NEC Birmingham
BBC Gardeners’ World Live HQ are excited to announce that Alan Titchmarsh, Carol Klein, Geoffrey Smith, Geoff Hamilton, Percy Thrower, Peter Seabrook and Rachel de Thame will all be attending the opening of the BBC Gardeners’ World Live Nostalgia Garden........in the form of plants named after them!
The Nostalgia Garden is a nostalgic scene from the 1960s, the decade when BBC Gardeners’ World was first broadcast, designed by award-winning Garden Designer Paul Stone:
- Visitors will be able to walk through a typical village scene of the period with a humpback bridge, bubbling stream and flowering riverside plants in profusion.
- The first Flymo mower was sold 50 years ago and one can be seen keeping the grass in check on a section of the riverbank!
- Look out for the typical period garage, fuel pumps and a classic 1960s Mini Cooper.
- There is a Village store and, of course, a garden nursery shop complete with hanging baskets and colourful annuals on display. Garden centres were only just appearing in the 60s, with container grown plants available for sale for the first time.
Visitors will be able to see the top ten plants of the decade and compare them to those of 2017, and see if they can spot the plants named after the Gardeners’ World presenters!
- Rosa Percy Thrower
- Rosa Geoffrey Smith
- Rosa Geoff Hamilton
- Rosa Alan Titchmarsh
- Sweet Pea Monty Don
- Clematis Carol Klein
- Lupin Rachel de Thame
- Verbena ‘Seabrooks Lavender’
- Rosa Chris Beardshaw
- Primula Ann Swithinbank
This year the Beautiful Borders are all themed around the 50th anniversary of BBC Two’s Gardeners’ World, with a number choosing to represent the presenters in flower form, including:
- ‘To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow’ designed by Emma Hearne with Kingston Maurward College
- ‘Glasshouse Sanctuary‘ designed by Tee Roberts and Level III Students at Oaklands College
- ‘Full Circle’ designed by Jenny Patterson Garden design
Plant inclusion subject to conditions.
For more information, interviews and competitions please contact Sarah Sandys-Renton on email@example.com or call 020 3405 4286.
Read more, including plans for celebration of the 50th anniversary of BBC Two Gardeners’ World here: www.bbcgardenersworldlive.com
BBC Gardeners’ World Live is organised and presented by River Street Events Ltd
The Gardeners’ World logo is a trademarks of BBC. © BBC.
About BBC Worldwide Ltd. BBC Worldwide Limited is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). BBC Worldwide exists to support the BBC public service mission and to maximise profits on its behalf. It does this through investing in, commercialising and showcasing content from the BBC brand overseas and champions British creativity.